Hey! I have those exact same speaker cables!
Nice photos. Thanks for the report. Looks like fun.
I had the pleasure of spending a beautiful Saturday afternoon and evening yesterday with Carl Bill, his lovely wife and family, some of their great Oklahoma friends, and, of course, his Altecs. When I arrived, he already had the stacked/winged 828s topped with 299s/MRII594s setup just far enough out in the yard for them to gel nicely at the patio.
All that was left was moving the rack out and some quick connection. Carl had just removed his new speaker cables from the liquid nitrogen bath.
All we had to do was make up some custom pigtails to mate with the cables.
I was surprised and encouraged by the savvy of the current generation of youngsters that attended (compared to my generation when we attended such a bash at that age). These kids actually set up their tent before it got dark.
A further example of youthful common sense was the youngest attendee, who disembarked from her car wearing Winchester hearing protection. She kept it on the whole time, and didn't seem to be having a bit of trouble hearing the music. She later took the mic and sang a sweet "Happy Birthday Dear Uncle Carl" to everyone's delight.
And of course, the b'day boy/MC/DJ/gracious host himself.
Carl kept the neighborhood rocking to an excellent variety of tunes the whole time. Loud? Durn tootin.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I've never met an Okie I didn't like. Thanks Carl, I felt like one of the gang, and had an excellent time!
Brad
"[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]
[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.
Hey! I have those exact same speaker cables!
Nice photos. Thanks for the report. Looks like fun.
[QUOTE= I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I've never met an Okie I didn't like. Thanks Carl, I felt like one of the gang, and had an excellent time!
Brad[/QUOTE]
Brad,
That is a great post of the party! My wife told me how you really appreciated her antique piano. My "audio" and fishing buddies were also impressed with you. Richard and Dave both told me how cool that "Brad" guy was! I was so glad you could make it out to our place and enjoy some of our fun here. Altec and most audio people are usually fun people as far as I can tell.
Things shut down outside around 10:30 and then I stayed up keeping track of the younger folks untill they had to be sent to bed around 4:00am.... then we got up and went for breakfast in Collinsville at the Silver Dollar Cafe around 9:00am. All you can eat breakfast buffet. Great bicuits and gravy!
The hearing protection was probably a good parenting thing, since her parents have known me for over 30 years and they always come prepared. :O
You are welcome to come back to any party we set up here.
I sure did appreciate the help on the cables and the last minute mic cable. I was a hero for that last one!
I did leave the cables in the freezer for 24 hours, so that are truly "cryo" treated... LOL!
Let's do it again soon!
Carl Bill
It looks like you all had a great time there for sure. I can see from the pictures that Okie's know how to enjoy life and that's a good thing.Thanks for the great post & pictures Feesh. I envy you Carl getting to meet that character. I'd love to meet up with you guys someday. Out where I live is an audio wasteland for miles.
![]()
Life is too short to be taken Cirrus.
Well you are in the middle of nowhere! (The Shining territory).
But hop on I84 and you in Bridgetown in under 2 hours, right? Plenty of cool guys and audio there. =)
Bookmarks